T is for Trespass (Kinsey Millhone #20) - Sue Grafton

T is for Trespass - Sue Grafton

"In what may be her most unsettling novel to date, Sue Grafton's T is for Trespass is also her most direct confrontation with the forces of evil.

Beginning slowly with the day-to-day life of a private eye, Grafton suddenly shifts from the voice of Kinsey Millhone to that of Solana Rojas, introducing readers to a chilling sociopath. Rojas is not her birth name. It is an identity she cunningly stole, an identity that gives her access to private caregiving jobs.

The true horror of the novel builds with excruciating tension as the reader foresees the awfulness that lies ahead. The suspense lies in whether Millhone will realize what is happening in time to intervene.

Though set in the late eighties, T is for Trespass could not be more topical: identity theft; elder abuse; betrayal of trust; the breakdown in the institutions charged with caring for the weak and the dependent. It reveals a terrifying but all-too-real rip in the social fabric. Once again, Grafton opens up new territory with startling results."

Sue Grafton used different POVs for the first time in her previous book, "S is for Silence" and I'm guessing she realized it made everything more interesting because she used it here, and she used it in the one I'm reading right now (U is for Undertow). It was really cool to live in the mind of a sociopath for a while, and it was a nice change of pace.

I also liked the way it addresses the issue of elder abuse. Solana was smart, frightening and evil, and although Kinsey knew it, there was no way to stop her.

4.5 stars!!!