Heat Wave by Richard Castle (Nikki Heat book 1)

Heat Wave, Premium Edition (Nikki Heat, Book 1) - Richard Castle

What's it about: Nikki Heat is a homicide detective with the NYPD that has to team up temporarily with Jameson Rook, a writer/journalist researching for an article about the work and lives of the people at the homicide division. The book starts with the team (Heat, Rook and other two detectives nicknames "Roach") investigating the death of a known millionaire that has been thrown from a six-floor window.

Review: I picked this book because I'm a fan of the TV Show Castle, whose main character is the "author" of this book. I don't know how would I feel about this book had I not seen the show, because it felt just like another episode and it was really easy to pick up with what we already know, but I feel the book doesn't bother to try to make an introduction to the dynamics between the characters, the author just assumes you've seen the show and know the drill.

I didn't like the fact that they usually portrayed Rook as a stupid puppy, and only in a few occasions they let you see the intelligent man that he is (and that has made him an important writer). Within that same line, I felt that Nikki Heat was a bit unpleasant.

The homicide case was interesting (although a bit predictable) and I really liked the constant humorous lines present from the very beginning of the book.

In sum, I had a good time reading the book because it felt just like watching the show. Not the best book ever, but I would read the rest of the saga because it was a very light, entertaining read. Three stars!