Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell

I don't know what happened to me regarding this one. I loved Park, I loved Eleanor, I loved their bus rides, and I loved their love. I caught myself going "awww" so many times, it was embarrassing. I loved Park's family and I hated Eleanor's. Everything was there for me to LOVE this book, and yet, I only liked it.

It was all great for me until the last pages, where someone pressed the fast forward button. It's not that I didn't like what happens, it's just that it felt too rushed, like the author was running out of pages and decided to wrap it up with "so, you know, stuff happens, blah blah blah, the end". Although now that I think about it, I also didn't like what happens, it felt unnecessary and a little out of character.

So, for me, everything was great for most of the book and I really enjoyed reading it. It's a nice, sweet story, with two adorable kids who fall in love for the first time and decide to face whatever happens.

[I'm counting this one for the letter "E" in the 2014 Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge]

What's it about (from Goodreads):

Two misfits.

One extraordinary love.
Eleanor
... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.