Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam #1) - Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

I truly wanted to like this book. Honestly, I already had the next ones on my kindle and everything, but I definitively will not be reading the rest of the series.

The premise of the book seemed so interesting, I never could have guessed how bored it was all going to be. I may be in the minority, but picking up the book felt like a chore, an obligation with the hope that maybe in the next page everything was going to explode. I have the impression that the author's idea was to replicate Richard Matheson's I am Legend in terms of the 'last man standing' theme, as well as the dystopian-desolated universe, but where Matheson felt personal, painful and real, this book was plain and uninteresting until the 70% mark, at which point it feels as if something interesting is finally going to happen and even then it didn't quite get there.

As for the main characters, I couldn't connect with any of them, not because I didn't like them, but because I couldn't care less about what happened to them. I feel like there was so much to be done with each of their personal stories, and yet all you have is a "picture" of each character without real substance. And the one character you know everything about is Jimmy, which is a shame because he's, quite frankly, and idiot. I couldn't wait to finish the book just to move on to something else.

The reason I'm giving this 2 stars instead of one is because the story does give you a lot to think about in terms of what kind of word we are living in and the dangers of psychopathic minds with access to new technology.

I'm really sorry I didn't like this book. I feel as if I should read it again, in case there was something I missed, because I really believed I would love it. Oh, well.

[I'm counting this as part of my 2014 TBR Pile Challenge and as the letter "O" in the 2014 Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge]

What's it about (Goodreads): Oryx and Crake is at once an unforgettable love story and a compelling vision of the future. Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwhelmed by a plague, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the last human, and mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and elusive Oryx whom they both loved. In search of answers, Snowman embarks on a journey–with the help of the green-eyed Children of Crake–through the lush wilderness that was so recently a great city, until powerful corporations took mankind on an uncontrolled genetic engineering ride. Margaret Atwood projects us into a near future that is both all too familiar and beyond our imagining.