Hyperbole and a Half... - Allie Brosh

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened - Allie Brosh

I started reading this book late at night on my kindle, with the lights off and my bf sleeping peacefully beside me. After half an hour I had to stop reading because I was trying to laugh quietly and all I was managing was shaking the bed and waking up my bf. And then I couldn't fall asleep remembering what I'd read. That's how much I loved the first few chapters. The chapter about the Simple Dog is perfect. The drawings are hilarious and so spot-on.

And then it gets truly deep, truly fast. The two chapters about depression are probably the best thing I've read in years. I have never read anything so accurate. The drawings are even better now, especially in the scenes at the video store and the ones where she explains how she tried to imitate facial expressions. Allie Brosh describes everything so perfectly that you understand it all so clearly, even if you've never had that kind of depression. I loved everything about these chapters. I just wish no one ever had to go through something like that. It was really enlightening, and honest and great.

The rest of the book is either super funny or mildly funny, but either way, you have fun. I wish I could explain more, but I really don't want to spoil your first impressions.

When I finished it, I rated it with 4 stars, because I felt the last chapters were not as great as the others, but as the days passed, I kept thinking about the book, and I kept coming back to check a few parts, and I ended up reading the whole thing about three more times. I realized that when you find a book that stays with you like that, you cannot rate it other than 5 stars, so I had to change it.

FIVE STARS!