Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) - Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky - Veronica Rossi

[I'm counting this for the letter U in the 2014 Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge]

Aria is a girl who lives in a place called Reverie, where each individual has a device placed in their eye that allows them to choose the world they want to spend the day in. You can be anyone you want to be in those worlds, and you can choose any world you want. Also, in Reverie there are no more illnesses, and you can genetically design your kids. Everything's great. Until she gets banned and is left to die on the outside, where the mere air can kill you and there are Aether storms that destroy everything they touch. There, she meets Perry, an Outsider looking for his kidnapped nephew. Maybe they can help each other. Maybe he can help Aria find her mother. Maybe she can guide him to where his nephew is. If only they can trust each other and survive.

I did not think I was going to like this book. I don't know why, but I kept picking up other books instead of this one and now I'm glad I finally decided to read it. At first I strongly disliked Aria. I tried to remember that she was the way she was because she came from a totally different world and was having trouble adapting, but I couldn't help it, I didn't like her. Fortunately, she changes quite fast and you end up liking her a lot.

I loved Perry from the start. He is kind, he is talented, brave and he loves his nephew to death. He lives in another weird society, where people have all kinds of gifts: special hearing, great eyesight, or, like him, a great sense of smell. But it's not like he can only smell food and scents: he can also smell the way you feel, and that's something hard to live with. Also, they're all starving, survival rates are very low and their future is uncertain.

Mix that with a few other great characters, and you have a very entertaining read, with a lot of action, danger, friendship and love. Four stars!